First Team - Match centre

Ossett Albion
Curzon Ashton
Full time
K Dennis (82'), C McDonagh (54' Pen), M Purcell (49')
Sat 24 Mar 15:00 - The Evo-Stik League Northern Premier - First Division North Attendance 118

Ossett Albion v Curzon Ashton FC Match Report

Curzon secured another three priceless points at Dimple Wells but had to live through a nervy first half before they took control of the game in the second period.


As a spectacle the first half was almost completely forgettable with a hard bumpy pitch making control difficult for both sides and the half was almost over before either keeper was called into action.
Curzon had good intentions but Matty Purcell blasted high and wide in only the third minute and a Sam Walker free kick from a good position came to nothing as the Albion defence coped easily with what Curzon had to offer.
Neither side was making much headway as the play was confined to the midfield areas but a breakaway by Ossett had Curzon worrying but Marc Thompson could only pass to a Curzon defender with two unmarked forwards waiting for a decent ball to the far post.
A period of Curzon pressure ended when Sam Walker fired over and then Graham Kay headed away a dangerous looking corner, putting the ball out for another flag kick.
Curzon were beginning to get on top and Chris McDonagh hooked over the bar after he had chased down a long kick by Josh Ollerenshaw, the bounce beating Albion centre half Andrew McManus.
The best move of the game so far saw Kris Dennis play in Connor Hampson and the full back went on a surging run before forcing a corner but the pressure was relieved when Summerskill shot over from outside the box after the flag kick had only been half cleared.
Five minutes before the interval Adam Hayton turned Andy Watson on the edge of the box but his volley landed on the roof of the net with Ollerenshaw struggling but the real drama of the first half came in stoppage time as Curzon came withing a whisker of taking the lead.
A free kick by Watson fund Matty Kay and he brought a great save out of Jody Barford, the keeper diving to his left to keep out the shot which was cleared for a throw-in. Curzon kept up the pressure and when the ball found Summerskill he curled a shot which beat Barford but crashed back off the crossbar.
Curzon began the second half as they finished the first and Albion were soon under pressure and the opening goal arrived after 50 minutes. An Ossett throe-in was charged down by Summerskill and then by Matty Purcell and as the ball broke into the box, Purcell got there first and produced a clinical finish, rifling the ball past Barford.
The goal settled Curzon’s nerves and they went 2-0 up just three minutes later. A ball by Purcell into Matty Kay brought a rash challenge by Tyrone Gray, the Albion fouling Kay as he sought the ball. Chris McDonagh stepped up and easily scored what was only Curzon’s third penalty of the season.
Curzon were now well on top and looked likely to run up a large winning margin as Kay brought out a great save from Barford, McDonagh shot wide after a good exchange of passes and Dennis had a shot blocked, McManus appearing to handle as he got in the way of the ball.
Ossett weathered the storm and Thompson brought a save from Ollerenshaw after he beat Graham Kay on 65 minutes. It was Ollerenshaw’ s first save of the match but a minute later Curzon scrambled a free kick clear and then a mix up between Graham Kay and Ollerenshaw almost saw the Curzon skipper head the ball over his goalkeeper, but Ollerenshaw recovered to parry the ball in the air before grabbing it as it came down.
Curzon almost increased their lead with 15 minutes to go as Purcell cleared a free kick to McDonagh. He played in Kris Dennis but as the keeper advanced he was forced wide, but even so he got a shot away which was stopped on the line and then two minutes later Ossett were back in the game as Thompson had his shins rapped by Hampson. To be fair, the Ossett player tried to stay on his feet but the referee pointed to the spot and Hayton put his penalty right into the corner despite Ollerenshaw guessing he right way.
Curzon were now unsure whether to attack and attempt to put the game to bed or defend and prevent Ossett from engineering any chances but the game was decided with eight minutes to go. A long clearance was headed on by Fish and as defender and goal keeper hesitated, Dennis didn’t wait and nipped in to slam the ball into the net to spark celebrations among the Curzon contingent.

Match Report by Ian Seymour


Key moments

Goal Matthew Purcell scores for Curzon Ashton
Scored Penalty Chris McDonagh scores a penalty for Curzon Ashton
Goal Kristian Dennis scores for Curzon Ashton

Videos and photos

Curzon Ashton FC v Ossett Albion
70 photos
Curzon Ashton FC v Ossett Albion over 4 years ago


View 0 new events
There are no events recorded for this fixture yet.
Replay game

As it happened

  • Ossett Albion
  • Curzon Ashton
  • 0
  • Matthew Purcell Goal 49:00'
  • Chris McDonagh Scored Penalty 54:00'
  • Michael Fish Sub On 80:00'
  • Chris McDonagh Sub Off 80:00'
  • Kristian Dennis Goal 82:00'
  • Matthew Purcell Sub Off 83:00'
  • Simon Lakeland Sub On 83:00'
  • Steve Settle Sub On 86:00'
  • Kristian Dennis Sub Off 86:00'

Team selection

Team selection has not been published for this fixture yet.

League round up

Other First Division North results

Radcliffe Borough
Bamber Bridge
Skelmersdale United
Salford City
Woodley Sports
AFC Fylde

League table

# Team Pd Pts
1. AFC Fylde 42 99
2. Curzon Ashton 42 92
3. Witton Albion 42 90
4. Farsley FC 42 81
5. Garforth Town 42 79
6. Lancaster City 42 77
7. Skelmersdale United 42 75
8. Woodley Sports 42 71

Team sponsors


Club sponsors